Code Enforcement Services

Our Code Enforcement Team is responsible for enforcing health and safety codes related to rubbish, debris, vacant buildings, vegetation, zoning violations, and inoperable and illegally parked vehicles. 

The Gridley City Council has adopted City Codes (laws) specifically designed to address blight and nuisances in an effort to maintain a clean environment for our residents and visitors.  The City of Gridley does this by working in partnership with the people of Gridley.

We need your help! 

Please report the following property maintenance concerns by contacting Code Enforcement Services at (530) 846-3631 or please click here to access a property condition complaint form.

Junk, Litter and Debris - Junk, litter, and debris cannot be left in the yard.  It must be disposed of properly.  This includes junk auto parts, appliances, furniture, building and landscaping material, tires and litter such as discarded paper, cardboard, plastics, etc., debris such as tree trimmings and fallen tree limbs, or any other items that have been discarded.  Persons seen dumping trash, junk, or littering in public or private places can be prosecuted.

Property Maintenance and Yard Maintenance - Overgrown weeds, bushes, trees, grass and vegetation are fire and safety hazards.  Yard maintenance is the responsibility of every property owner and includes the maintenance of any right of way abutting the property.  Grass must be maintained at six inches or less.  All shrubs in the right of way must be maintained.  The branches of any tree extending over any public sidewalk, street, and any other public way should be trimmed so that they do not obstruct vision or the travel of motorists and people, all dead trees and vegetation must be removed and disposed of properly.  

Yard Sale Signs on Poles - Attaching items to Power and Traffic Poles is illegal and can be dangerous for our Electric Line Workers.  You may be billed for the damage to our poles and for costs associated with removal of signage and nails.

Illegal Dumping - The City encourages anyone who encounters an illegal dump that has already taken place to report it.

Illegal Fences - Fences and screening walls must be sound and made from approved fencing materials.  They also must be weather tight and free from deterioration and blight.  Fences in residential zones cannot be higher than four feet in the front yard.  This rule also applies to fences on street corners or areas adjacent to driveways.  An improperly placed fence could prevent a driver from observing oncoming vehicle or pedestrian traffic.

Illegal Outside Storage - Outside storage that can be seen from beyond the bounds of the property line is not allowed.  Generally, any equipment, building or landscaping materials; parts/auto parts; appliances; or any scrap items may not be visible.  No inoperable vehicles may be visible from beyond the property boundaries.

Open and Vacant Buildings and Structures - The property owner is responsible for maintaining buildings, structures and grounds of property.  Windows, doors, and other openings must be kept secure so they cannot be opened from the outside. A property owner is required to board up a building/structure if it becomes vacant and is not secure.  Accessory buildings/structures on the property such as storage sheds and garages must be secured to city specifications.  Any property which remains vacant and unoccupied for any appreciable period of time becomes an attractive nuisance to children, a harborage for rodents, an invitation to vagrants and criminals as a temporary abode and as a place to engage in illegal conduct, frequently including illegal drug-related activity, and an increased fire hazard.  Such buildings contribute to the growth of blight within the City which creates an unhealthy and unsafe condition affecting the public and constitutes an unreasonable use of property and a public nuisance.

Please report the following vehicle related concerns by contacting our Community Services Officer at (530) 846-5678.

Vehicles Abandoned on Public Streets - Vehicles can be parked on the street for a maximum of 72 hours but must be in running condition. If not operable, i.e. no wheels, engine, trash in gutters, cobwebs, etc., they can be towed by the City.  vehicles must also have current license and registration. The vehicle may also be towed if the registration is expired for longer than six months.

Vehicles Abandoned on Private Property - Vehicles can be parked in the driveway but must be in running condition. If the vehicle appears abandoned, wrecked, dismantled, unregistered and declared a public nuisance you may be asked to repair or remove it, or you will be cited and the vehicle will be towed at your expense.

Inoperable Vehicles - All vehicles are prohibited from parking on any lawn area or on any un-approved parking pad.  Abandoned, inoperable, unlicensed and junk vehicles are not allowed on private or public property in the City of Gridley.   You may be able to donate your vehicle to a registered charity.  There are several services that will pick up the vehicle free of charge.  Vehicles parked on streets must be in running condition, must have current license and registration, and can only park for a maximum of 72 hours.  Commercial trucks and trailers cannot park on the street in a residential neighborhood except when loading or unloading.  Recreational vehicles shall not be utilized for additional living space.

Contact information:

Code Enforcement Services

685 Kentucky Street

Gridley, CA  95948

(530) 846-3631